I figured this out on my own.  "android update project" does the right
thing if and only if AndroidManifest.xml exists in the target
directory (it does for the samples).

Example (first start emulator for install)

cd platfrom/android-1.5/ApiDemos
android update project -t 2 -p .
ant debug
adb install bin/ApiDemos-debug.apk

A readme file in the samples directory with the steps for building the
samples would be helpful for newbies.  It seems I encountered a bug in
"android create project" as it destructively over wrote files like
strings.xml in an existing project - maybe the tool should not allow
you to shoot yourself in the foot so easily :-).