AFAIK, this is not possible.  It would be up to the user to turn off
notifications from whatever SMS app they use.  I have used the default,
ChompSMS and HandcentSMS...

Both Chomp and Handcent tell you to go to the default app and turn off
notifications in the settings there so you don't get duplicate
notifications.

Even if you could programmatically turn off the notifications for the
default app, you would have to find a way to turn off notifications for all
3rd party apps as well...

There are only 10 types of people in the world...
Those who know binary and those who don't.