Jeffrey Blattman wrote:
> as far as i can tell, scheduled alarms are only executed if the app that
> scheduled them is active.

That is not true. The code I gave you demonstrates that.

> in your example, you start a service that never quits obviously.

Sure it does. My service inherits from IntentService:

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/app/IntentService.html

"The Service will automatically be stopped when the last enqueued Intent
is handled."

> i don't have a service, i'm starting the alarm manager from an activity.

There is no reason to use AlarmManager for an activity, and I would not
expect AlarmManager to behave very well for an activity.

> services can be ejected
> from memory, and often are as people drive their phones hard as they
> will.

If services are ejected from memory due to low-memory conditions, either
an activity or a service is misbehaving.

That being said, services aren't supposed to be in memory all the time:

http://www.androidguys.com/2009/09/09/diamonds-are-forever-services-are-not/

> everything works fine on the emulator when you're running one
> thing at a time. in the real world, when i debug on my device, i see
> "low memory, no more background processes" scrolling by in the log quite
> often.

See above.

> still looking for an answer.

I gave you one.