To install applications on android, we need the application to be in
the form of an .apk file regardless of what we use to develop it, i.e
SDK or NDK. Are there absolutely no other filetypes supported? If
there are further patches for the android oses which have been already
deployed on the phone, do we have to rebuild the image and install it
on the phone again or is it possible to install it on the phone?
Is it possible to have applications or services running on the device
which can be built along with the source code, so that it is non-
removable? I ask this because there might be some need for important
services which need to exist on the device in order to keep track of
applications or the device configuration. Is there anyway to perform a
silent installation of apps?
 And is it possible to install such applications on the phone..?

Android has already been ported to MIPS architecture as well as x86
machines. Does that mean we would still want the applications to be in
the form of an .apk file for installation?

And will all apk files no matter what it is built for (arm or mips
based) run on all android supported devices, taking into consideration
only the hardware independent functions being implemented in that
application?

Thanks in advance.