Thanks, this is helpful.

What I thought I was trying to accomplish was to get some other
activity to display in the frame under the tabs.  Is there a way to do
that?  I'm kind of hacking around to see what works and may be missing
some fundamental point if that is not possible.

If that is not possible, would it be possible to at least call
startActivity() when the tab is pressed?  Apparently tab widget is
doing something besides startActivity() with that Intent.  What can
you do with an Intent other than call startActivity()?

TIA