I'm kind of at a loss of how to achieve this probably simple task. How
do I get the contents of a variable (say and int variable) to display
on the screen? I've collected that I have to use an adapter, but I
can't find a simple explanation of how to use them.

In one of the tutorials, they list this code:

ArrayAdapter adapter = ArrayAdapter.createFromResource(
            this, R.array.planets,
android.R.layout.simple_spinner_item);
    adapter.setDropDownViewResource
(android.R.layout.simple_spinner_dropdown_item);
    s.setAdapter(adapter);

Problem is that I have no idea what a few things mean (like the use of
"this" and what items need to get in the parenthesis after
ArrayAdapter.createFromResource. If someone could refer me to a post
describing adapters and how to use them that would be great.

Also as a side question, if I need to transfer data from one view to
another, do I need to pass it using intents? And if so, how to I send/
read them?