The standard way to do real-time audio over a network connection is
using RTP (real time protocol), which is what Voice Over IP is based
on.  While there are almost certainly RTP libraries available in Java,
I'm not sure Android will let you get straight PCM data from the
microphone or send PCM data straight to the speaker/headphones.

That's your main question, Kevin.  In Linux you would do this using
ALSA.  I'm pretty sure Android will let you wrap the PCM data (or
unwrap it) into RTP and send it along (if not you could fake it over
HTTP, but it'd be messy), but the other end requires low level
hardware access.

Two sort of answer both of your questions, if you can get that close
to the hardware you'll most likely need "root" access which means it
wouldn't be a normal Android Market app.