yes. my understanding is that the motorola cliq is doing something similar  ... android, but with an altered front end. it sent a chill down my spine. IMHO, these companies should be putting effort into android to improve its theme mechanism until it can cover their needs. then we should be able to install the hero theme, or the cliq theme on any phone.

now, maybe motorola / htc would not license use of the theme on other phones, but it should be possible technically.