I haven't tested as I still have a week until the phone arrives.  I am
doing a few learning android exercise type apps and 1 felt would be a
good basis for learning the app lifecycle/structure would be a "torch"
app with settings for things like the brightness and so on.  But
generally yes, I agree messing with the brightness would normally be a
bad idea, which is why I am curious if I needed to return it to what
it was or if it was app/activity centric.

I will do some testing once I have a phone to test on.