Thanks for the pointers.

http://www.androidsnippets.org looks closest to what I am looking for.
It's basically a collection of code snippets to do the kind of things
that need doing.

The http://groups.google.com/group/openintents project at Google Code
looks like it's making a good start. This is really the kind of thing
I had in mind....to make useful functions that do not really need to
be opened up to use.

I didn't find much useful activity on SourceForge. There are lots of
projects there, but many have no activity. Anyone have useful pages?

John