Try this and let me know if it works:

        super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
        setContentView(R.layout.main);
        Button loginButton = (Button) findViewById(R.id.login);
                        EditText usernameView = (EditText)
findViewById
(R.id.username);
                        EditText passwordView = (EditText)
findViewById
(R.id.password);
        loginButton.setOnClickListener(new View.OnClickListener() {
                public void onClick(View v) {
                        mUsername = usernameView.getText().toString
();
                        mPassword = passwordView.getText().toString
();
                        if (verifyLogin()) {
                                callHome();
                        }