Or to put it another way, the current method is to use a make a server
somewhere on the internet (or perhaps wifi intranet)  to catalog and
function as an intermediary between the phones.

In the future or maybe now with low-level hacking, ad-hoc wifi or
something bluetooth based could become an option.