*> what's missing from the market is dependencies. *

I wholeheartedly agree...

*> i often had the idea of publishing an "app" that is just a service for
use by other apps ... but the fact that the user needs to manually download
the service first sort of rules that out.

*Yes and no.  It is a little bit of an annoyance, but the programmer who
wishes to use your service could look for it and provide a one-button-push
method for them to go to the market and install it.

My paid key app does just this.  When the user tries to launch it, it simply
tries to launch the free version of my app.  If the free version doesn't
exist an exception is thrown and I display a dialog that more or less says
"AppSwipe! was not found.  Please go to the market and install it now"  The
dialog has a button that says "Go to market..." and when they click on that
it goes to the market and pulls up only the application that needs to be
installed.

It sounds like a lot of work, but really it isn't all that bad.  I
programmed that functionality in about 20 minutes.

Thanks,
Justin

There are only 10 types of people in the world...
Those who know binary and those who don't.

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Jeffrey Blattman <jeffrey.blatt...@gmail.com