> It looks like most (but not all) of Java SE is there other than awt.

Uh, no. Swing and other packages are missing outright, and various classes
are missing from other packages (e.g., most of java.beans).

> Are all the included packages complete per Java SE 1.5?

No.

> What happens if you try to use a class in javax.xml.xpath for example?

I suspect it may cause a rupture in the space-time continuum. If you could
avoid doing that, it'd be appreciated... ;-)

> Can you only find this kind of mistake by testing?

Testing or reading the SDK docs to see if the class in question is part of
the public SDK.

> Who decides what part of Java is included.

First tier is the Apache Harmony project, from which Android gets its
java.* and javax.* packages.

After that, it's the core Android team.

> I'm just trying to understand how the platform is defined.

The same way any class library is defined: by its documentation.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
http://commonsware.com