Sorry Mark...I mean getWidth() here is the sample that I am following
from API demo.

("target" is a TextView)

        final View target = findViewById(R.id.target);
        final View targetParent = (View) target.getParent();

        Animation a = new TranslateAnimation(0.0f,
                targetParent.getWidth() - target.getWidth() -
targetParent.getPaddingLeft() -
                targetParent.getPaddingRight(), 0.0f, 0.0f);
        a.setDuration(1000);
        a.setStartOffset(300);
        a.setRepeatMode(Animation.RESTART);
        a.setRepeatCount(Animation.INFINITE);

       a.setInterpolator(AnimationUtils.loadInterpolator
(this,android.R.anim.bounce_interpolator));

      target.startAnimation(a);