Bump. I have the same question. Right now, I'm using the code below.
There's got to be a simpler way.

        private void updateListview() {
                // Close the old Cursor
                if(mCursorAdapter != null) {
                        Cursor c = mCursorAdapter.getCursor();
                        c.close();
                }

                // Create the new Cursor.
                Cursor c = this.queryAllUsernames();
                mCursorAdapter = new SimpleCursorAdapter(this,
R.layout.singleitem_row, c, FROM_COLUMNS, TO_VIEWS);
                setListAdapter( mCursorAdapter );
        }