I tried

b.create().show();

but that did not solve the problem. This is very strange. If I can use
'getApplicationContext()' and 'this' interchangeably when dealing with
Toast messages, I assume that those two are in fact pretty much the
same. Now, on the other hand, when dealing with that
AlertDialog.Builder class, where I can use 'this', but using
'getApplicationContext()' results in a runtime error when showing the
dialog, I must assume that 'this' and 'getApplicationContext()' are
NOT the same. How is that possible?

Anyway, here is a error log. Maybe someone can think of a solution
while looking at the actual error message.

WARN/WindowManager(56): Attempted to add window with non-application
token WindowToken{43be4580 token=null}.  Aborting.
DEBUG/AndroidRuntime(233): Shutting down VM
WARN/dalvikvm(233): threadid=3: thread exiting with uncaught exception
(group=0x4001b188)
ERROR/AndroidRuntime(233): Uncaught handler: thread main exiting due
to uncaught exception
ERROR/AndroidRuntime(233): android.view.WindowManager
$BadTokenException: Unable to add window -- token null is not for an
application

Oh, and thank you Justin for your effort! I really appreciate your
help!

Best wishes, Matt