I've had a similar problem. I believe that the issue is that the
ListView does not like to have 'focusable' items. I wanted a CheckBox
I could initialize but then I lost the context menu. I've reverted to
using CheckedTextView instead.
This has problems if you want to set the initial state of the check
boxes (say to reflect cached values from a dB) as it always appears to
set the items unchecked.