You could have the AppWidget start an activity that is styled to look like
an AlertDialog....  I may be wrong, but I don't think it is possible to make
it actually display an AlertDialog.

Or, you could make the AppWidget start an Activity that does nothing except
display a dialog...  If you give the Activity the right theme then the user
would never know that anything happened other than a dialog was displayed.

There are only 10 types of people in the world...
Those who know binary and those who don't.