I have no idea what could cause that (aside from what you've already
speculated), but maybe Unlocker would help:

   http://download.cnet.com/Unlocker/3000-2248_4-10493998.html

If that doesn't work, you could create a copy of the file with the
same name (and append a .bak to the original file) and see if it would
work with the copy instead. (Since presumably nobody is using the file
you just created.)