Here is how I do it...
_______________________________________

AlertDialog.Builder builder;

Context mContext = getApplicationContext();
LayoutInflater inflater = (LayoutInflater)
mContext.getSystemService(LAYOUT_INFLATER_SERVICE);
View layout = inflater.inflate(R.layout.widget_icon_selection,
   (ViewGroup) findViewById(R.id.layout_root));

builder = new AlertDialog.Builder(this);
builder.setView(layout);

ImageView torch = (ImageView)layout.findViewById(R.id.img_torch_setting);

torch.setOnClickListener(new OnClickListener(){
@Override
public void onClick(View view) {

// Do whatever when the button is clicked.

alertDialog.dismiss();
}
});

alertDialog = builder.create();