Complicated layouts definitely have a huge impact on speed...  Perhaps some
of the pointers on these pages could help:

http://developer.android.com/resources/articles/layout-tricks-reuse.html
http://developer.android.com/resources/articles/layout-tricks-efficiency.html
http://developer.android.com/resources/articles/layout-tricks-stubs.html
http://developer.android.com/resources/articles/layout-tricks-merge.html

Thanks,
Justin

There are only 10 types of people in the world...
Those who know binary and those who don't.