Sample of what? Deriving from the class and overriding a method should be
pretty straightforward:

public class MyOverlay exntends Overlay
{

void draw(android.graphics.Canvas canvas, MapView mapView, boolean shadow)
{
 // Logic to figure out where to draw
 // Use canvas to draw
}
}

And at some point you add this to the mapview's overlays:
MyOverlay mo = new MyOverlay();
mapView.getOverlays().add(mo);

The draw call gets called for you when the map gets drawn.

TreKing - Chicago transit tracking app for Android-powered devices
http://sites.google.com/site/rezmobileapps/treking