Hi, I am thinking of developing a simple Android application that lets
users compose music on Android phones.

I am new to the Android platform. I have some coding experience in
Java that involves being aware of basic OOPS and Java concepts and
developing some small Java applications(less than 1k lines of code). I
have set up Android on my Linux system and have been able to run a
"hello World" application.

I want to develop a simple Android app in a month wherein users can
compose music. What I want to do is this- A  touch on the screen
should produce/emit a sound/tone. Touching different parts of the
screen should produce/emit sounds of different pitch levels/
frequencies. Once this is done I want to improve the UI and add some
basic features of playback, "clearing" currently selected tones on the
screen.

How do I start doing this? Also, given my limited experience with
java, how should I divide the tasks so that I can finish this in a
month?