Hi!

If I connect an Android Phone to PC using USB cable, what options do I have
in communicating between the phone and the PC? I would like to achieve
following communication features in my application:

1) Java application on PC should be able to recognize when a phone with my
app is connected or disconnected via USB,
2) Phone should recognize if the PC has my app running or not and
3) Phone and PC should be able to transfer textual data in both directions.

[Application on Phone] <-----USB------> [Application on PC]

Only thing really coming to my mind is to use TCP for data transfer and UDP
for "presence", but I don't even know if this is possible with Android. The
idea is to enable cable connection, so TCP may not be the nicest way. So
could someone give me some advice what options I have, and how should I get
started?

Best Regards,
Antti Karhu