But, do you know exactly what sort of HTTP operation is expected by the
server, and how it expects the "xml file" to be encoded and transmitted?  If
you do not know these answers, very precisely, you won't know how to code you
client.

  As for HTTP and your second question, see
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616.html and a quick google finds
http://www.jmarshall.com/easy/http/ which might be at least as valuable.

               - Chris