On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 8:41 PM, Brian Victor <homeusen...@brianhv.org>wrote:

> I'd like to get started with Android development by scratching my biggest
> itch: the date and time pickers.

What's wrong with them?

> I'd like to make them much more efficient.

How so?

>  * If I change those controls, will I be able to get the result onto
> my   Droid without rooting it or waiting for a patch to be accepted upstream
> and pushed to my phone by my carrier?

You have the entire source for Android - take the part you want (the
pickers) and throw them in your own project.

>   * Is such a patch likely to be accepted?

I have no idea - maybe someone else can answer this for you.

>  * Why are those controls implemented as dialog boxes rather than intents?

Because they're controls ... that users have to interact with ... how would
you do that with intents?