I got it working. I tossed my version and started with a copy of
ApiDemos, adding code below.
One interesting observation:
ApiDemos.apk actually contains three things.
Widget:
Shortcut:
App:

The shortcut and app point to different starting points ;-)
Thanks all for holding my hand.
jp

public class ExampleBroadcastReceiver extends BroadcastReceiver {
    @Override
    public void onReceive(Context context, Intent intent) {
        String action = intent.getAction();
        if (action.equals("org.jamesp.gpscruise.UpdateWidgetAction"))

public class StatusBarNotifications extends Activity {
    @Override
    protected void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState) {
        super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);

        //Uri uri = Uri.parse("55");
        //Intent intent = new
Intent("org.jamesp.gpscruise.UpdateWidgetAction", uri);
        Intent intent = new
Intent("org.jamesp.gpscruise.UpdateWidgetAction");
        sendBroadcast(intent);

<receiver android:name=".appwidget.ExampleBroadcastReceiver"
android:enabled="true">
<intent-filter>
<action android:name="org.jamesp.gpscruise.UpdateWidgetAction" />
</intent-filter>
</receiver>