   KV> Jake,

   KV> There are two issues here:

   KV> - Getting notifications when appointment data changes. If the appointment
   KV> database is your own, set up an intent to be fired whenever there is a
   KV> change. If you are using the built-in calendar, there is got to be a
way, too
   KV> - I just don't have any pointers not having used this API.

   KV> - Time until next appointment changes with real wallclock time, so it
would
   KV> have to be updated (every minute? every second?). This is a UI
   KV> design decision - do you think your users prefer to see time til
   KV> next appointment with 1-second accuracy, at the expense of
   KV> possibly poor battery life, or would they be happy with 1-minute
   KV> resolution, or perhaps just time of next appointment, updated a
   KV> few times a day?

Kostya,

This is actually a theoretical discussion since I'm trying to understand
how this type of problem, as opposed to this actual problem, can be
solved.

If the data to be updated is fixed, then it sounds like you would want
an intent to be fired when the data changes.  So in my first example,
the problem can be solved by firing an intent when the appointment time
has passed so that you get the time of the next appointment or forcing
an update when the a new appointment is added.

But in the second example, would it be appropriate to update every
minute?  But Android 2.2 only allows an update every 30 minutes.  Do you
set an alarm to trigger even minute or would that also drain the
battery?  Do you trigger an update only when the screen is turned on?
Can that even be detected?

--
Jake Colman -- Android Tinkerer