From: "Indicator Veritatis" <mej1...@yahoo.com>
To: "Android Beginners" <android-beginners@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 8, 2010 5:48:42 PM
Subject: [android-beginners] Re: "adb shell" command gives very inconsistent
     results

This sounds somewhat different from the problems I have seen with adb.
So I am not sure how helpful my advice will be, but what I would do
is: before ever even entering the shell of adb, make sure that adb can
see the emulator with "adb devices".

Yes, unlike the distinction between emulator and device for the -e and
-d options, "adb devices" will list both real hardware devices (of
which you have none) and emulator instances (all of them).

If you don't see the emulator instance even after launching the
emulator and seeing the home screen, then try "adb kill-server"
followed by "adb restart". If that gets adb to see the emulator
instance, then go on to "adb shell".

The one other suggestion I have is to make sure that you are using an
uptodate version of adb -- and for that matter, of all the tools.