This turns out to be a known bug. There appear to be some workarounds
for some phones with some OS releases. If I can test for phone type
and release level I can have my app apply the appropriate workaround
if available.

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3708

However, I can't tell from this thread what the situation is for each
combination of OS and phone and there is no indication of when this
might be completely fixed with a partial wake lock solution.

Does anyone know who at Google owns this bug?