The cellphone does, in general, have a "sensor" that consists of the
cellphone radio.  This is, as I understand it, a multi-function radio
that uses software techniques to simulate the electronics that would
be present in a more conventional design, and it is in theory capable
of all sorts of tricks.  But that software is very complex and almost
certainly not accessible to the app programmer, so you'd have very
little chance of "hijacking" it to do your sensing, unless you could
somehow get one of the phone engineers involved.

And like I said, you DON'T want to control the pacemaker -- that will
send any potential real investors running the other direction (BIG
liability issues).  At most you want to just passively read the unit.