On 8/1/2010 11:59 AM, Bret Foreman wrote:
Ben,

I agree with you about the crying need. From a product roadmap point
of view, this is a really obvious value for many developers. But I
wouldn't jump to a solution too quickly. I've been thinking about the
problem for a few days now and my opinion is that initial load data
should come from an online web services source, not packaged in the
assets. This allows developers the option of updating their database
without releasing a new version of their app. And you have to remember
that users will always have a network connection when they are
installing from the Marketplace, so we should take advantage of that.

Now that wireless companies are moving to metered data plans, I would be very annoyed if I found that the initial install of an app required a network connection to download an undetermined amount of data. If anyone does this, they should make sure that they tell the user how much data is going to get downloaded. That way, if they are at the limit of their plan (Like the AT&T $15/mo + $15 per 250MB over the initial 250), they can defer the data download until they get somewhere with WiFi...