I am building some components into an AOSP build and I would like them to
share some Java code. Currently, I am adding two pieces:

   1. System APK (for some new services)
   2. Java library for host machines (client to interact with those
   services from apps)

There is some common code between the two that I would like to put in a
shared "common" module, but I can't figure out the best way to include it?
My first inclination was to do the following for each:

   1. Common = BUILD_STATIC_JAVA_LIBRARY
   2. Client Library = BUILD_HOST_JAVA_LIBRARY
      1. Includes the common under LOCAL_STATIC_JAVA_LIBRARIES
   3. APK = BUILD_PACKAGE
      1. Includes the common under LOCAL_STATIC_JAVA_LIBRARIES

The problem that I ran into is that BUILD_STATIC_JAVA_LIBRARY doesn't seem
to feed nicely into BUILD_HOST_JAVA_LIBRARY as a dependency. It claims "no
rule to make target" since javalib.jar doesn't exist for common (it builds
a classes.jack file instead). If I change BUILD_HOST_JAVA_LIBRARY into
BUILD_STATIC_JAVA_LIBRARY, everything compiles but I have no viable product
in out/ that I can distribute (the code stays as classes.jack in
intermediates).

Another idea I had was to change BUILD_STATIC_JAVA_LIBRARY into
BUILD_JAVA_LIBRARY. However, I don't want the common code to be copied onto
the target (no reason since it's built into the System APK as well).

Can anyone advise me on a proper technique for building the common code
module that can be included by both an APK package and host library? Or
perhaps a better way to deploy

Cheers,
--
Dave Smith, PE