There are three main parts to a build system: figuring out what the
possible commands are, figuring out which of those commands need to run and
in which order, and actually running them.

While a shell script would conceivably be able to express the first one, it
would struggle with some of the the second part (especially around
incremental builds), and a readable implementation of the third part would
likely be sequential, resulting in impractically long build times.

JBQ

--

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Quéru
Chief Mobile Architect, Verizon Media

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 5:40 PM Robert Durkacz <robert.durk...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> This is an outsider's question. I am trying to keep it short.
>
> I am used to building in the old way with 'make'. AOSP is using a very
> strange new build system that it is evidently complex and hard to learn. It
> is hard to help yourself when things go wrong.
>
> Should not any build system provide a common escape mechanism by providing
> a shell script that builds all the main targets? In make you normally get
> this by invoking 'make -n'. You can run the resulting script and
> investigate problems where commands fail. You can modify the script as you
> wish and you do not have to use make any more if you do not want to.
>
> Can I do the equivalent with AOSP? If not, why not and can we change that?
> I have seen that is very difficult to do that with gradle, which is what
> comes with the Android SDK. The situation seems even more difficult with
> AOSP.
>
> As mentioned this is a short version of my question, hoping that people
> will read it, so I have left out details of what versions of software I am
> using and what I am trying to do.
>
> --
> --
>
> ---