I have been doing some more comparisons between the the handbuilt kernel
and the one that comes in the prebuilt.

The prebuilt one shows several modules in lsmod,

Module                  Size  Used by
ftm5                  364544  0
heatmap                28672  2 ftm5
videobuf2_vmalloc      28672  1 heatmap
videobuf2_memops       24576  1 videobuf2_vmalloc
lkdtm                  61440  0
adsp_loader_dlkm       24576  0
stub_dlkm              24576  1
usf_dlkm               86016  0
native_dlkm           233472  0
machine_dlkm          229376  0
platform_dlkm        2588672  59 native_dlkm
wcd_cpe_dlkm          151552  0
wsa881x_dlkm           73728  1 machine_dlkm
wcd934x_dlkm          503808  1 machine_dlkm
wcd9360_dlkm          348160  0
mbhc_dlkm             102400  1 wcd934x_dlkm
wcd9xxx_dlkm          110592  2 wcd934x_dlkm,wcd9360_dlkm
swr_ctrl_dlkm          49152  2 wcd934x_dlkm,wcd9360_dlkm
cs35l36_dlkm          311296  2
q6_dlkm              1318912  10
usf_dlkm,native_dlkm,machine_dlkm,platform_dlkm,wcd_cpe_dlkm,wcd9xxx_dlkm,swr_ctrl_dlkm,cs35l36_dlkm
swr_dlkm               45056  2 wsa881x_dlkm,swr_ctrl_dlkm
apr_dlkm              253952  5
adsp_loader_dlkm,usf_dlkm,platform_dlkm,wcd934x_dlkm,q6_dlkm
q6_notifier_dlkm       24576  3 machine_dlkm,q6_dlkm,apr_dlkm
q6_pdr_dlkm            24576  1 q6_notifier_dlkm
wglink_dlkm            32768  0
wcd_spi_dlkm           40960  0
wcd_core_dlkm         188416  6
machine_dlkm,wcd_cpe_dlkm,wsa881x_dlkm,wcd934x_dlkm,wcd9360_dlkm,wcd9xxx_dlkm
pinctrl_wcd_dlkm       24576  0
msm_11ad_proxy         45056  0
wlan                11649024  0

and the modules installed in /sys/module look like

adreno           cam_context_utils cs35l36_dlkm   esoc_mdm_drv
 hid_magicmouse l2tp_netlink   msm_drm
 nf_conntrack_netbios_ns ppp_mppe         random          snd_pcm
 tcp_cubic      videobuf2_memops  workqueue
adsp_loader_dlkm cam_cpas_hw       debug_reboot   eud
i2c_algo_bit   l2tp_ppp       msm_performance       nf_conntrack_sane
 printk           rcupdate        snd_timer         ufshcd_core
videobuf2_v4l2    wsa881x_dlkm
apr_dlkm         cam_csiphy_core   diagchar       event_timer    icnss
    libcomposite   msm_poweroff          nf_conntrack_tftp       pstore
       rcutree         snd_usb_audio     ufshcd_pltfrm  videobuf2_vmalloc
xhci_hcd
arm_smmu         cam_debug_util    dm_bufio       fb
 ip6_tunnel     lkdtm          msm_show_resume_irq   oscar
 q6_dlkm          rfkill          spidev            uinput
 vmpressure        xpad
asix             cam_ois_core      dm_mod         firmware_class ipv6
     lm36011_module msm_vidc_ar50_dyn_gov overheat_mitigation
 q6_notifier_dlkm rmnet_ipa       spurious          usb_bam
watchdog_v2       xt_quota2
battery          cam_smmu_api      dm_verity      fscrypto       kernel
     loop           msm_vidc_dyn_gov      overlay
 q6_pdr_dlkm      rndis           srcutree          usb_f_gsi
wcd934x_dlkm      xz_dec
binder           cdc_ncm           dns_resolver   ftm5           keydebug
     lpm_levels     native_dlkm           pac193x
 qcom_llcc_edac   rng_core        st21nfc           usb_f_mtp
wcd9360_dlkm
binder_alloc     cfg80211          drm            fuse           kgsl
     lpm_stats      nf_conntrack          pci_msm
 qmi_rmnet        sch_htb         stub_dlkm         usb_storage
wcd9xxx_dlkm
block            configfs          drm_kms_helper gasket         kgsl_gmu
     machine_dlkm   nf_conntrack_amanda   peripheral_loader
 qpnp_power_on    scsi_mod        subsystem_restart usbcore
wcd_core_dlkm
bluetooth        core_hang_detect  dummy          glink_pkt      l2tp_core
    mbhc_dlkm      nf_conntrack_ftp      phy_xgene               qpnp_rtc
       service_locator suspend           usbhid         wcd_cpe_dlkm
bonding          cpufreq           dwc3           heatmap        l2tp_eth
     mhi_qcom       nf_conntrack_h323     pinctrl_wcd_dlkm
qpnp_smb5        sg              swr_ctrl_dlkm     usf_dlkm
 wcd_spi_dlkm
brd              cpuidle           dynamic_debug  hid            l2tp_ip
    module         nf_conntrack_ipv4     platform_dlkm           r8152
      sit             swr_dlkm          v4l2_mem2mem   wglink_dlkm
bridge           cryptomgr         edac_core      hid_apple      l2tp_ip6
     msm_11ad_proxy nf_conntrack_irc      ppp_generic             ramoops
        snd             sysrq             videobuf2_core wlan

On the one that I built

lsmod looks like

lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
flame:/ $

and the built in drivers look like

adreno       bridge            core_hang_detect drm
firmware_class ip6_tunnel l2tp_netlink   msm_performance
 nf_conntrack_irc        pci_msm           qpnp_rtc  rng_core
spidev            uinput         vmpressure
arm_smmu     cam_context_utils cpufreq          drm_kms_helper fscrypto
   ipv6       l2tp_ppp       msm_poweroff          nf_conntrack_netbios_ns
peripheral_loader qpnp_smb5 sch_htb         spurious          usb_bam
  watchdog_v2
asix         cam_cpas_hw       cpuidle          dummy          fuse
   kernel     libcomposite   msm_show_resume_irq   nf_conntrack_sane
 phy_xgene         r8152     scsi_mod        srcutree          usb_f_gsi
  workqueue
battery      cam_csiphy_core   cryptomgr        dwc3           gasket
   keydebug   lm36011_module msm_vidc_ar50_dyn_gov nf_conntrack_tftp
 ppp_generic       ramoops   service_locator st21nfc           usb_f_mtp
  xhci_hcd
binder       cam_debug_util    debug_reboot     dynamic_debug  glink_pkt
  kgsl       loop           msm_vidc_dyn_gov      nvme
ppp_mppe          random    sg              subsystem_restart usb_storage
  xpad
binder_alloc cam_ois_core      diagchar         edac_core      hid
  kgsl_gmu   lpm_levels     nf_conntrack          nvme_core
 printk            rcupdate  sit             suspend           usbcore
  xt_quota2
block        cam_smmu_api      dm_bufio         esoc_mdm_drv   hid_apple
  l2tp_core  lpm_stats      nf_conntrack_amanda   oscar
 pstore            rcutree   snd             sysrq             usbhid
   xz_dec
bluetooth    cdc_ncm           dm_mod           eud
hid_magicmouse l2tp_eth   mhi_qcom       nf_conntrack_ftp
overheat_mitigation     qcom_llcc_edac    rfkill    snd_pcm
 tcp_cubic         v4l2_mem2mem
bonding      cfg80211          dm_verity        event_timer
i2c_algo_bit   l2tp_ip    module         nf_conntrack_h323     overlay
           qmi_rmnet         rmnet_ipa snd_timer       ufshcd_core
 videobuf2_core
brd          configfs          dns_resolver     fb             icnss
  l2tp_ip6   msm_drm        nf_conntrack_ipv4     pac193x
 qpnp_power_on     rndis     snd_usb_audio   ufshcd_pltfrm
 videobuf2_v4l2

It appears that the one I built doesn't provide something necessary for the
dynamic modules to load, and it also looks like the built in directory does
not contain several dlkm binaries.