And the point around not being about to load classes runtime from a an
aar:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48716303/how-to-load-class-dynamically-from-aar-file-with-dexclassloader

The above principal at least should work for a jar file only... (for my
needs I should be able to strip down to a jar file instead of aar).

I think to add resources to this approach one would need to overlay the
framework's resources (out of scope for my needs)