Your idea sounds very useful. Indeed, it could be an idea that would
fit well into our project "OpenIntents". I already suggested it as an
idea in our project group:
http://groups.google.com/group/openintents/browse_frm/thread/7f34fe99bd23c25
linking back to this discussion here, so feel free to add any
additional information there as well.

As of the real savings, I'm not so sure. Google seems to promote
"always-on-networking", so the connection cost should not matter as it
would be a flatrate.

As for saving battery, one still has to transmit a certain amount of
data, so whether I transmit 3 minutes out of 15 minutes in a row, or 3
times 1 minute within 15 minutes does not obviously seem to make a
large difference in battery savings.

I imagine, there could be some savings if all services polled exactly
at the same time in parallel (to fill waiting gaps for individual
services) that could reduce the time say from 3 minutes for 3 services
to 1 1/2 minutes for 3 services, so the phone could sleep for 13 1/2
minutes which would make sense.

Peli