Thanks for your replies.
Looking at the rfcomm link above it looks like the easiest way to send
data is by writing a byte array to an OutputStream on the
RfcommSocket.
So it looks like it will just be a case of forming an xml string from
a query on my content provider, converting it into a byte array and
sending it.
Sounds easy!