1. You mean just asking the user for a phone number and then storing
it somewhere? Sure. You could use preferences, a file, or a database
to store it.

2. There are a lot of examples of using a URLConnection (or
HttpURLConnection). Try searching for those. And yes, you'd need to
host whatever it is you have on the server side, but for development,
that can be your local machine. Just have to remember that accessing
the url as localhost actually refers to the emulator.