>  - Where is the data that it need to work with? I can only see
>  constrain in the performFilter() function

The data is the data you pass to the ArrayAdapter. Or the ArrayAdapter's data.

>  - For the publishResults() function. What do I need to do with it? I
>  don't see anything like a context that can help me reach out of the
>  class so how can I publish the result?

Just use the notify methods of the Adapter. For instance:

        @Override
        protected void publishResults(CharSequence constraint,
                FilterResults results) {
            //noinspection unchecked
            mObjects = (List<T>) results.values;
            if (results.count > 0) {
                notifyDataSetChanged();
            } else {
                notifyDataSetInvalidated();
            }
        }

>  - And for the FilterResults class, isn't the values need to be
>  Object[] or List<Object> because it's said to "Contains all the values
>  computed by the filtering operation. ".

No, it has to be an Object. For instance, the CursorAdapter publishes
a Cursor as the result, not an array or a list.

--
Romain Guy
www.curious-creature.org