I'm becoming confused with all of the guidance being given to entrants
of the ADC.

One the one hand, the flavour of the posts in the Challenge group is
that we are not permitted to instruct the user to do anything to their
emulator. This seems to include pushing files to it, installing an
supplied SD Card image or even installing more than one application
package.

But unless I have been totally left behind (and its quite possible),
this is just what you need to do to Android's own browser to use a
proxy:

http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_frm/thread/e855c4998b25fc9c/d8cb5935a609b8cc?#d8cb5935a609b8cc

Further to this, there is even no way to make the built-in Google Maps
application to work:

http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_frm/thread/b02397ad796ce280/418ee733c7553f71?lnk=gst&q=proxy#418ee733c7553f71

Perhaps I'm mistaken in this, I don't have much experience with mobile
phone development, but isn't a proxy configuration something of an
abnormality for a mobile device?

Tom.