qvark wrote:
[...]
> The set of algorithms executed with a Sun JVM (1.6.0_03) take less
> than 20 secs but when I execute them within the emulator (in the same
> machine), they are taking over 7 minutes! That's more than 20x slower!

AFAIK, the Dalvik VM is currently an *interpreter*... running on an
emulated ARM. Apparently the speed of the ARM is roughly equivalent to
the 300MHz target device when the emulator is run on a modern, fast
machine, so what you're seeing is probably something like the eventual
speed of the device. It's going to be slow.

When the JIT arrives it'll be much faster, but I think your only real
hope for now is to use JNI. Unfortunately, JNI is totally unsupported
right now so if you want to do it you're completely on your own. There's
also at least one loader bug which means your code may not end up in
memory intact. While you can hack it into submission if you're willing
to risk it, it's most certainly not product ready... but it is possible.

│ "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
│ telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out
│ how to use my telephone." --- Bjarne Stroustrup