I am having trouble updating the state of a Checkbox inside a
SimpleCursorAdapter. I want to update the checkbox to reflect some
data in my DB at the start of my ListActivity. My Layout is as
follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<LinearLayout xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/
android"
    android:orientation="vertical"
    android:layout_width="fill_parent"
    android:layout_height="fill_parent"

        <CheckBox android:id="@+id/IsChecked"
                      android:layout_width="fill_parent"
                      android:layout_height="wrap_content"
                      android:focusable="false" android:clickable="false"/>
        <TextView android:id="@+id/stuff"
              android:layout_width="wrap_content"
              android:layout_height="wrap_content"
              android:textStyle="italic"/>
</LinearLayout>

What I am trying to do is to set the state of the checkbox at the
start but it does not work. I have tried putting it in: onStart(),
onPause(), onContentChanged(), onJustAboutEverything() and it does not
want to update.

Just to make sure I wasn't crazy I put it in onListItemClick() and it
worked when I clicked an item (everything else would update), but this
is obviously not a solution.

As a second experiment It tried it in onOptionsItemSelected which gets
called when the menu is pressed but this mysteriously did not work. I
am mystified by this problem and I need to figure it!

Any ideas where I can put the update? Just for completeness, here is
my update code:

        protected void UpdateCheckboxes()
        {
                ListView tempListView = this.getListView();
                int nNumRows = tempListView.getCount();
            //setup the check boxes to reflect the data
            for(int idx = 0; idx < nNumRows; idx++)
            {
                CheckBox cb = (CheckBox)((LinearLayout)
tempListView.getChildAt(idx)).getChildAt(0);
                boolean bIsChecked = m_tasks.get(idx).isChecked;
                cb.setChecked(bIsChecked );
            }
        }