I've been playing around with a simple IMAP client for Android using
the Sun javamail API. After overcoming java.awt.datatransfer
dependency limitations of the activation.jar (as described by
http://davanum.wordpress.com/2007/12/22/android-send-email-via-gmail-actually-via-smtp/)

, I discovered that I can only derive an InputStream from a
MimeMessage contents. Strangely, nearly identical code works correctly
as a normal java application.

After a deep dive into the javamail.jar and activation.jar source
code, I discovered the problem. The android application cannot find
the META-INF/mailcap file that exists in javamail.jar. I've traced the
problem as far as the call to ClassLoader.getResources("META-INF/
mailcap") in SecuritySupport.getResources() of activation.jar.
Unfortunately, the Android SDK does not provide the source for
ClassLoader and I cannot inspect the operation. I can only see that it
returns an empty enumeration.

While the above case may be limited in scope (although I imagine
Android users will want an IMAP client), it may be endemic of a larger
problem. Namely,

Does the Android SDK import files included in the META-INF directories
of imported jar files?

Thanks,

-Will

--