Raja Nagendra Kumar wrote:
> Based on further hurisctic coding I did the following
>
> added the line (just below manifest tag in AndroidManifest.xml) file
>     <uses-permission id="android.permission.CALL_PHONE"/>

That shouldn't be needed, if you use the technique I show below.

> and used the code
>
>     Intent dial = new Intent();
>           dial.setAction("android.intent.action.CALL");
>           dial.setDataAndType(Uri.parse("tel:234567"),
>                               "android.intent.action.CALL");
> this.startActivity(dial);
> where this is pointing to currently running activity.

This is one time where you *want* an IPhone:

http://code.google.com/android/reference/android/telephony/IPhone.html

The IPhone interface gives you methods to dial() a number, directly
place a call(), endCall(), and similar stuff. There are instructions on
the Web page listed above for how to get an IPhone object.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
http://commonsware.com