Thanks Jeff.

I tried following steps:

(got the database from emulator / changed tables in "SQLite Database
Browser" / put the database again in emulator)

-       adb pull ... contacts.db
-       opened contacts.db in SQLite Database Browser
-       In "groups" table inserted 2 new groups (e.g. clients, team) with
sql commands
-       In "membership" table inserted 2 new people for each group with sql
commands
-       In "people" table inserted 2 people with sql commands
-       adb push ... contacts.db

now on android emulator:
I started Contacts application from  Home page
Menu->Settings->Sync Groups
   listed new groups in a correct way

Menu->Display Group
   has overwritten all new entered group names with string "My
Contacts"
and I had no possibility to add new person to my groups

as result:
I could not verify that my entries were correct in right tables/
columns.

Yalcin