I'm working on a Twitter app that works though SMS. Twitter has a
normal API, but I don't plan on getting an internet plan (and I doubt
I'm the only one), and I'd still like to receive them on my phone.
However, having to look at Tweets as normal text messages wouldn't be
as comfortable as in a dedicated app.

I'm having the same problem as the person who started this thread:
While my app receives the tweets fine, it doesn't "intercept" them
from the Messaging app. I understand why you don't want apps to have
this ability, but isn't that why you list an app's permissions before
installation (as shown in the marketplace screens)? I do plan on
notifying the user just like the Messaging app, and receiving it in
two apps would be more annoying than helpful.

Do you have any suggestions on what I can do? It's noteworthy that it
will only "intercept" Twitter messages (from number 40404), and anyone
who uses Twitter via SMS (on any phone) knows how many texts they get
from it.

Thanks,
squeakypants