Yes we agree now that it is not a trigger message problem.

> the activity should stop the handler in onDestroy()

So what method is there to kill or stop the handler? I could not find
it.

Moreover, killing the old handler will not solve the problem with the
out-of-control new progress dialog that Android instantiates upon a
screen orientation change. I would have to know its handle to dismiss
it, but I cannot know its handle because I did not instantiate the new
progress dialog myself, right?

In other words, is there finally a fix for the problem? How do I
dismiss that new ProgressDialog?

Thanks