That sucks. This was to be the cornerstone of the application I've
been working on.  I had assumed that this would be supported because,
"Android does not differentiate between the phone's basic and third-
party applications -- even the dialer or home screen can be
replaced."  Apparently, that applied to all cases, but this one.

I don't see why this would not be allowed (with appropriate
permissions) given the "All applications are equal" mantra.  Are there
plans to support this in the 1.0 release?  Is there some undocumented,
unsupported way of doing this?  Has anyone found a workaround?

John